Sunday 1 June 2014

TEXTILE DESIGN SHOW

It's been a while since my last post due to being extremely busy getting my final degree project finished and working towards my end of degree shows. The first being at the beginning of June at Northbrook College in Sussex, 3rd- 7th June, and the second I will be showing my work at New Designers at the Business Design Centre in Islington, 23rd-28th June.



I have been working on a fabric manipulation and print fashion project that is based on the theme of 'The Seven Deadly Sins'. I felt this was a great theme as it would allow me to experiment with print, knit, embroidery, colours and materials. I focused my main samples on the sin 'Pride' as I felt that the crisp white colours really helped to show off the fabric manipulation techniques I used. 


To create these pieces, I used the techniques, gathering, pleating and Suffolk puffs. I then used beading to add texture and a slight hint of colour. I feel these techniques are extremely effective and look sophisticated and high end. These pieces were made with the idea that they would be used for Couture garments. The mannequin heads were a great buy from eBay at £16.99. I felt they helped show off how I visualised my samples in a sophisticated way as well as helping create a sinister tone to go with my theme. 


When displaying my work, I wanted to show off my main samples which were on the mannequin heads, but also show off the other sins and the designs I had come up. I wanted a clean look, but without looking too minimalistic. 


My scarf designs were a last minute designs to go with my embroided samples. I wanted to show the other sins in some way and show off my printing skills. These prints are digitally produced and created from drawings and heat transfer prints. I feel it all works well together and creates a dramatic look by looking bold due to the contrast between all the colours. 




Here are a few of the fabric manipulated samples I produced for my display. From the top I used the technique chords, beading and pom poms. They all have a very unique feel to them and completely different texture which I have created and used for the different individual sins. 

In my next blog posts, I shall be going into more details of the different fabric manipulation techniques showing my whole design process of my latest project.

Joelle
x


No comments:

Post a Comment