Saturday 22 February 2014

TEXTURE IN NATURE


Texture is everywhere, and all of natures textures can be used as inspiration for textile design. My project theme of 'The Seven Deadly Sins' needs a variety of textures to clearly separate and reflect the individual sins in an obvious way. I started thinking of the sin Sloth. The lazy sin automatically makes me think of floaty fabrics and soothing colours. That's when I thought of rippling, flowing water and lapping sea shores.



The rippling waters were a great start for creating interesting textures and shapes, due to the swirling and rippling, and the constant change of direction.


Straight away the techniques of gathering and burning came to mind. I love how with gathering, you can create a change of direction, almost like the sea. I used polyester fabrics which are light and floaty, which physically resembles water as well as the sin sloth. Gathering has to be one of my favourite techniques. It is so easy to do yet gives an extremely interesting effect. I also love how you can get a totally different effect and texture every time, so it is constantly unique looking. This is due to the size and direction of stitch, as well as how much the fabric is gathered. I love stitching the lines both vertically and horizontally as it produces more of a random pattern and more importantly even more texture! 



Fashion designer Liu Fang, shows great gathering on her Spring/Summer 2013 collection. A different effect has been created by using thick fabric and larger stitches. The fabric has also only been gathered in one direction. Liu Fang has developed this technique and used it as the focal point on this garment. 




The thin layer of sea foam that is left behind by the wave inspired my third sample. (Middle sample from above) I decided to use a burning technique, which is as easy as it sounds. Burning fabric allows the fabric to crinkle as it forces the fibres to shrivel up. It is impossible to control what happens to the fabric which is why the outcome fascinates me every time. Holes can also be created if burnt for a longer amount of time or more closely. This is what happened with the sample above. The burning and the polyester combined created a really intricate, delicate looking piece. I also felt it fitted in perfectly with the theme The Seven Deadly Sins, by using fire to create the sample. I wanted to add more depth to the sample and more detail, so stitched around the burned holes and crinkled fabric with a gold thread. This gave the sample a more sophisticated look and added more texture. 


For another TEXTURED post, visit again soon!

Joelle
x



No comments:

Post a Comment